Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Major League, the third perspective

(Clockwise from top-right) Charlie Sheen, Wesley Snipes, Margaret Whitton, Dennis Haysbert, Corbin Bernsen & Tom Berenger star in "Major League"


    Being that I haven't seen this movie in a good long while it is amazing how much of it I remember. One thing that I distinctly remember is how much I enjoyed this movie. The reason that I loved the movie so much was in no small part the underlying theme that if motivated enough you can do anything. The idea that the bunch of men who by all right shouldn't have any right to win a game let alone have a successful season overcoming obstacle after obstacle is fun. Each time you would see them succeeding in some way I actually felt good for them.

    The other thing that I loved was that you enjoyed the characters and all of their flaws. Each character in the movie is broken in some way and everybody can relate to them. The real good parts of the movie are not when the players are out on the field but when they are interacting with one another. My personal favorite is when a bucket of fried chicken is brought to Cerrano for his sacrifice to his Voodoo deity. My other favorite is when Charlie Sheens character realizes that he has just slept with another players wife without knowing it. Also, everybody hated the Yankees and come on, who doesn't hate the Yankees!

    Overall, I would say it is a 7 out of 10 as long as you don't watch the sequels. It is a feel good movie and I would still recommend it to anybody that hasn't seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment